Why do we need Golf Psychology knowledge for performance enhancement?
What is Golf Psychology?
Golf Psychology is a scientific study of golfer mental
processes, behaviors in golf performance and practical
application of knowledge for game enhancement. Golf
psychologists identify principles that players and
professionals can use to benefit at every level of their
game progression. Golf psychology's objective is
understanding how psychological factors affect a golfer's
physical performance, participation in golf training and
exercises that affects psychological development, health and
well-being of a golfer.
Golf psychology deals with enhancing performance by managing emotions and minimizing psychological effects of poor
performance and injury.
Positive Learning Environment
Goal Setting for golf shot performance
Confidence for challenging shot
Some of the important skills taught during our golf lesson are:
1. How people learn - involving habituation, classical conditioning, operant conditioning and social learning.
2. Positive environment - deals with all necessary environment factors that can accelerate golf learning and
3. Goal setting - involving specific, measurable, achievable, reasonable and time targeted objectives. It includes
setting of vision, mission and strategy for golf aspiration.
4. Motivation - involving intrinsic and extrinsic reasons to participate and succeed in golf aspiration.
5. Confidence - a golfer's attribute of possessing the belief, ability and judgment to perform a successful task,
external factors can also have a major effect to your confidence.
6. Visualization - creating image that involves mentally picturing golf shot performance as vividly as possible with
the intention of duplicating this process into reality.
7. Self-talk - a method of verbalizing or silently affirming to oneself before or during a task performance. Players use it
to evoke feeling of empowerment and confidence.
8. Using rituals - deals with elicitation of a routine for a success performance. This is termed as pre-shot routine in
9. Composure - deals with the quality of calmness possessed by players who can arrange their thoughts and
behaviour even when there are changes in circumstances during the game.
10. Concentration - the ability to manage and engage attention mentally and physically. It includes broad-external,
broad-internal, narrow-external and narrow-internal concentration.
11. Relaxation - the ability to have total emotion control during golf swing and game performances. It includes a
golfer psych up, psych-down and arousal control.
12. Feedback - the consequences of our behaviour become known to us through what is called ‘feedback’.
13. Anxiety - deals with any form of worries that affects emotional and cognitive reaction during game performance.
Visualization golf shot performance
The Benefits of Golf Psychology
Golf psychology is one of a division of sport psychology.
All recreation competitive players will benefit from sport
psychology skills and knowledge for performance enhancement.
Some unusual and yet effective psychological practices by
experienced golfers are the colour of the clothes they wear,
the type of golf balls they play with, the sport drinks they
consume and spiritual ornaments they carry for their game.
Your profound golf psychology skills coupled with sport science knowledge are key ingredients to becoming
an elite golfer.
Asian Golf Centre
Certified & Licensed USGTF Master Golf Teaching Professional - USA
Certified Professional Teacher and Trainer - University of Cambridge, UK
Singapore Sport Council - NCAP Level 1, 2 & 3
Singapore WDA-WSQ ACTA Certified Trainer & Assessor
Certified Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP™) Practitioner - USA
Certified Professional Clubmaker by GCA (USA)
GCA Winner International Clubmaker of the Year - USA
"Enhance your learning and game performance with golf psychology skills."
from Philip Ang
Start with the strong foundation for your golf swing technique and game performance
Learn faster and easier, save time and money
Call us for a FREE discussion on your required training programme
Professional service is only a phone call away
Call Philip Ang at Tel: 82221121